The Butcombe Trail is a 48.7 mile route around six pubs in the Mendip Hills, a designated area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB). The route is mostly off road and takes in some beautiful running country and fantastic views as it criss-crosses the Mendips. It was devised as a walking trail many years ago and was first run as a single-day ultra marathon in 2016 and he 2017 race was on Saturday 2 September. No date has been set for the 2018 race.
Although runners will be well supported during the event, it is not to be taken lightly and only runners who have run a marathon (either as a race or in training) since 1 January 2017 should apply.
The race is being put on by the Town and Country Harriers, a Bristol off-road running club. The price has been set at £49 for affiliated* runners, £51 for unaffiliated. All profits will go to the Mendip Hills Fund, a community fund set up to conserve and enhance the environment, communities and economy of the Mendip Hills. The fund is a partnership between the Mendip Hills AONB and the Somerset Community Foundation.
- Click here for more information
- Enter the race – page disabled until 2018 race details finalised
- Click here to see details of the route
- Click here for 2017 results
- Click here to find out what happened in the 2016 race
- For more details and to ask questions please visit our Facebook page.
* discount applies to runners affiliated to either the Association of Running Clubs (ARC) or UK Athletics (UKA)