The Butcombe Trail Ultramarathon is a single day race starting at 7:30am on Saturday 27 April 2019. We will be running clockwise from “The Cider Barn” on the A371 between Cheddar and Draycott (BS27 3YB) on the Southern side of the circuit. It’s 50 miles with over 1,500m ascent. There are no relay or short options.
All competitors must register at the Cider Barn (know on Google Maps as “Early Doors”) to collect their race number. Registration will open on the morning of the race from 6am to 7am. Competitors must also attend the race briefing which starts at 7:10am on race morning in the registration area. The race will start at 7:30am.
The route is self navigable and competitors will be provided with maps covering the entire route which they must carry at all times. The trail is way marked along much of its length but this can be patchy. There will be marshals at key points. A GPX file of the route is available on the Route page but we strongly recommend that runners use this as a backup to the maps and not the other way around.
Feel free to get out on the course before race day to check out the route. It’s a beautiful course on public footpaths and there are plenty of lovely Butcombe country pubs (and a cider barn) on the route.
All entrants must have run a marathon since 1 Jan 2018. This doesn’t need to have been in a formal race, it could have been a 26.2+ mile training run. You will not need to provide proof of this, we trust you to tell the truth.
Entrants must be at least twenty years of age.
Runners will need to carry minimum kit of:
- a water bottle or bladder;
- waterproof map case if the weather is wet;
- waterproof top with hood and taped seams;
- long sleeved warmer top layer (e.g. Helly Hansen Lifa top);
- fully charged mobile phone with volume set to maximum;
- gloves and buff or hat;
- emergency food (e.g. gel, energy bar);
- headtorch with charged batteries;
- emergency foil blanket;
- sunblock or additional warm clothes as dictated by weather conditions;
- Waterproof or windproof trousers.
We will supply paper maps of the course which must be carried at all times.
There will be random kit checks. We recommend that runners wear trail or fell shoes with good grip.
There will be six checkpoints on the route, five of which are at pubs. You must visit every checkpoint. Food, water and flat cola will be available at these checkpoints.
Please attach your race number to your front so that it can be clearly seen. You must show this number to marshals at each checkpoint – it is your responsibility to ensure that your number has been noted. You must not run with another person’s number.
There is a maximum time of 15.5 hours to complete the race. Any runners who we believe will not be able to make the cut-off will be offered a lift to the finish.
Camping is available at the Cider Barn. There is no wash block or showers but it’s a bargain at £5/night for a tent or £15/night for an electrical hook-up. There are plenty of other places to stay nearby as well to suit any budget.
Parking at the start:
Parking is available in a field next to the Cider Barn.
Running with dogs (Canicross):
The Butcombe Trail Ultra welcomes experienced canicross competitors. We will not be providing vet care or dog food although water will, of course, be available at all the pub checkpoints.
There are a few additional rules for runners with dogs:
- Our insurance does not cover incidents caused by dogs. By entering the race you confirm that you have public liability insurance for your dog*;
- We require dogs and their human partners to have run at least a marathon together since 1 Jan 2018;
- Dogs should be on a lead using a CaniX regulation waistbelt at all times;
- Runners must clean up after their dog;
- Runners with a dog must start at the back of the field.
We’d like to remind dog owners that because the race is in late April there may be an increased risk of heat stress and they should make sure that they are familiar with the symptoms of canine overheating.
* Many household policies provide liability insurance for dogs as do many specific pet insurance policies.
We would like to thank our sponsors
DEKA independent running store in Frome